ServicesFind UsContact UsEventsMediumsHealingLibraryHistorySpiritualismPhilosophyArticles

CHURCH HISTORY

The Brentwood Spiritualist Church was founded in 1942 by Mrs Margaret Temple Cox, Mr Tom & Mrs Gladys Kenner, assisted by Mr Claude Ridge, Horace Pacey and Helen Slaughter. Services were originally held in the home of Mrs Temple Cox and then variously in a disused shop in Crescent Road, a hut on Shenfield Common and the local Conservative Club.

During these early days they had been told clairvoyantly that they would have a permanent Church, that it would be situated on a hill, in a garden, nestling under a large tree and that Mr Kenner would be the Manager.

Some time after that things began to move and to quote Mr Kenner “At the end of the war in 1945 we were led (by Spirit) up Primrose Hill and there in a nice garden were some large Army huts. These were previously used as a Nursery School and then by ARP and were now vacant. We promptly rented these for £1 per week and were finally at home and on our way to better times.”

The premises at the time were further down the Hill and were moved to their present location. The now defunct “Greater Metropolitan Spiritualist Association” very kindly provided them, free of charge, with a supply of Mediums, some collapsible chairs, a piano and other items. Claude Ridge built the platform.

A lot of hard work was put in to fundraising events over those early years until in 1955 they were able to buy the property. The dedication of it’s voluntary workers, the Church Trustees and Committee, have kept the Church running over the years. Many improvements have been made to the property, the latest being provision of disabled access and facilities, completed in 2005.

Mr Thomas Kenner MBE

Founder of Brentwood Spiritualist Church

President 1946 - 1986 

Tom Kenner was born in Morpeth, Northumberland in 1889 and came to Brentwood in 1891. He served in the Royal Engineers during the First World War and the ARP in the Second.

His career was in the Civil Service, initially with the Board of Education, was appointed MBE in 1942 and was Chief Clerk of the Royal Mint when he retired in 1949.

After retirement he continued to be active as a member of the local council 1950 to 1964. 

His other interests included membership of Little Warley Golf Club and later Thorndon Golf Club, a member of Essex County Cricket Club and chairman of Brentwood Football Club. 

Mr Kenner passed peacefully to Spirit at the age of 104.

Brentwood Spiritualist Church | www.BrentwoodSpiritualistChurch.co.uk | Email info@brentwoodspiritualistchurch.co.uk